Friday, May 17, 2013

Travel to Malaysia, Sarawak, Bario.



From Miri, LP recommended a detour southeastwards back towards the Limbang division of Sarawak state, towards the piece of land separating Brunei. Unfortunately, this journey can only reasonably be done by flight, as it entails crossing rugged terrain. Given my time and budget constraints, I had to choose between checking out the famous caves of Gunung Mulu National Park, and the Kelabit Highlands. As I already intended to visit the caves of Niah National Park, I decided on the latter.

And so it was a short 1h flight aboard a propellor "twin otter" MASWings plane to Bario, the capital and gateway to the Kelabit Highlands. Capital is of course only a technical term, as Bario itself has a population of barely 1000, and the panoramic greenery is only sporadically dotted by signs of human dwelling. At a moderate altitude of about 1000m, Bario is occasionally chosen by travellers seeking to escape from the oppressive heat of lowland Sarawak, and also to get away from it all, more generally speaking. The highlands offers great multi-day trekking opportunities, through minor villages and traditional longhouses. But as I only had two days to spare here, I spent my time just taking in the
Wild Oriental Hornbill Spotted It figures. I spend MYR40 for each boat cruise down the River Kinabatangan back in Sabah to spot these critters, and of course they show up free of charge first thing when I arrived in Bario.sights closer to town proper, already a rural delight.

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment