Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Travel to Rarotonga, Cook Islands.


Country/Town Visited:
 Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Date of stay: November 2011
Where you stayed: with Friends 
Tour or pre planned: Preplanned

Having finished working in Sydney and planning my move to London, I had decided that I needed a few months to travel, unwind and see the world. After my first stop to New Zealand to say goodbye to friends and family, I set off to Rarotonga to see my good friend who had moved to the Cook Islands 6 months previously.

Landing in Rarotonga after midnight and greeted by the token guy playing his guitar (apparently he is at the airport to welcome every plane in) I didn’t get a chance to see what beauty lay around me. My friend Charlotte had a family home right on the beach, so I awoke to the waves crashing on the beach and ROOSTERS. Very crow happy roosters that felt the need to cock-a-doodle-doo through the whole night. Safe to say I got used to sleeping with ear plugs in.  

This is where my tough life started, sitting on the balcony eating fresh papaw with the tall jagged peaks behind us and the sea only 20metres away. This was going to be a very hard month! We set off on the scooter (main mode of transport on the island) down to Muri Lagoon where my friend runs Workout on Water - a yoga class on stand up paddleboards (SUPs). Having never been on a SUP before, it was so surreal to be floating out on the picture perfect lagoon, with tropical fish swimming beneath you as you went through a series of yoga poses. Muri Lagoon has a number of water sports available like kite boarding, kayaking, SUP hire to cruises that take you to a protected snorkelling spot as they sing you traditional island songs on ukulele’s. A great spot to relax and take in the scenery at Muri is Sails restaurant.

Read more at http://www.oetravelblogs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment