Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Travel to San Gil, Colombia.


Country/Town Visited:
 San Gil, Colombia

Date of stay: 8th - 12th Aug 2011
Where you stayed: Sam's Hostel
Tour or pre planned: Tour

Backpacking through Colombia was an experience I’ll never forget, and the 4 days spent in San Gil were amazing. I stayed at Sam’s hostel in San Gil, Colombia. The hostel offers some adrenaline packed activities which I decided to partake in. Here’s a day by day review of the activities I did.

Day 1: 1pm-5pm: Tandem Paragliding
Lovely day for a fiesta in the sky. My tandem partner was a little advanced in years, but I wasn't going to hold that against him. He did a wonderful job of uplifting himself and I high above the dense, jungle canopy into a world of free-floating and weightless green bliss. I think he fancied me a bit ;-). We glided for what seemed only a minute. We would suspend, as if completely halted in mid air, then spiral downwards left and right like a pendulum. A sensational feeling of flying, as if nothing is holding you. We had already ever so ungracefully landed before I even realized our romantic rendez-vous was over. I tumbled hard into the groin of a man twice my senior, smack dab in the middle of a tobacco field. 

Day 2: 8am-1pm: Rappelling down a 60m waterfall (see photo below)    
The Juan Cury waterfalls, located a short bus ride outside of San Gill are absolutely beautiful, but you don't really have time to sit back and enjoy the scenery as you slip-slide on rock, heavy volumes of water pelting down on you while belaying yourself for 60m. You do this by yourself, the guides are merely watching you. No experience necessary, there’s no crash course. You are wearing a bracelet to identify your body if worst case scenario happens and you are washed away. I must say there is a certain liberating feeling that comes with that. 

Read more at http://www.oetravelblogs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment