Monday, March 4, 2013

Las Vegas, Dig This


EXCAVATORS Las Vegas
Las Vegas is often billed as a place where dreams can come true, and I am living proof that this is the case.
I went to one of the weirdest and greatest attractions I have ever seen and one that could probably only exist in the bizarro world that is Las Vegas.
I went to an empty construction lot, home of the Las Vegas Dig This attraction, and for a few hundred dollars I got to play with heavy machinery at the Las Vegas Dig This Heavy Equipment Playground.
Ever since I was a child playing with Tonka trucks I have dreamt of operating heavy machinery.
I remember the heart palpitating joy I felt as a child when I looked out my window and saw a bulldozer and an excavator sitting dormant at the end of the cul-de-sac where a foundation for a new house was being dug.
I ran down the street and sat in the driver’s seat of each, pulling handles, hitting buttons, and imagining that I was moving earth and destroying lawns.
There were no keys left behind, but I dreamt of one day becoming a grown-up and driving these bad boys around, because that is the type of thing that grown-ups do.
But somewhere between voting for the first time and seeing my friends start to get married, I realized that grown-ups do not in fact drive construction vehicles very often, and certainly not for fun.
That is until the geniuses at Dig This realized there was money to be made on the unfulfilled childish desires of grown men. Next they should invent a pool filled with ice cream, or a go-car track made of bubble wrap.

Dig This is located just a mile from the Vegas strip, which is convenient, but it seems like it could be another world away. Dig This is basically a big construction site, with all sorts of bulldozers and excavators.
The business actually started when a construction site closed down because of lack of funding, and some genius, and I use that word with no intended irony at all, decided to make a grown up playground/sandbox hybrid out of it.

Read more at http://gobackpacking.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment