Monday, March 25, 2013

Travel to Burma, Yangon.


I determined early in the trip that I would enter Myanmar with an open mind, in fact it was almost blank. Er, perhaps that should read ... a blank canvas! I didn't want excessive research to impede a voyage of discovery to this unique travel destination in South East Asia. Of course I'm aware of Myanmar's recent history, as the country has just awakened from 40 years of almost total isolation. Destinations such as this are becoming rare in an increasingly connected world, so I thought I'd experience Burmese culture before the country is inevitably overrun by tourism, as is the case over in neighbouring Thailand. An Aussie guy in the Bangkok hostel was stunned to hear I had no Lonely Planet, was completely oblivious to the absence of ATMs, and had not cashed up with beaucoup US dollars. I'll have to admit the conversation did give me a bit of a hurry up, so I scrambled for the internet to get the good oil. Fortunately visa ATMs have recently been installed in December 2012, so armed to the teeth with mountains of knowledge I was able to slump back into an intellectual torpor!

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment