Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Travel to Hungary, Budapest.


I believe we all agree that I have terrific language skills, but I must admit Hungarian has thrown me for a loop. Yet even with the language barrier ... today I witnessed another example of how we are all the same. At lunch, under a huge umbrella, in 104 degree heat, I witnessed the following, and although I understood only one word of the entire conversation ("gelato") I knew precisely what was going on.

Two tables, the first occupied by two couples, the second occupied by the four children of the two couples (lets call them 8-12). Lunch was over and the waiter was cleaning up and asked if anyone wanted desert. As the parents shook their heads "no," the waiter was already rattling off the options, which included GELATO. The ninos, of course, wanted gelato, and after some energetic cajoling the parents relented. After sorting the ninos, the waiter asked the parents if they want to join in the gelato. The two husbands (who I believe are brothers) did not need much encouragement.

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment