Monday, February 18, 2013

Travel to Australia, South Australia, Adelaide.



My time in Melbourne was very busy but I have now moved on to Adelaide and with the heat here being in the high-30's, I have decided to hide out in my hotel room and catch up with a few things. As there's quite a bit to update you on, I'll probably do at least two separate postings about the past five weeks.

So, a few months ago I pre-booked a two-week stay in a 'serviced apartment' in Fitzroy in Melbourne for the duration of the Australian Open because I knew that accomodation convenient for Melbourne Park would be hard to come by. However, when looking for somewhere to stay for my first 3 days in Melbourne the same apartment was much more reasonably priced so I booked it. Once I'd been there for a while and liked it a lot, I then negotiated a good rate for the rest of my stay in the city. It is so much more pleasant having a fixed base rather than having to pack up and move every few days. The apartment had everything
Fitzroy Gardens
Old bandstandI needed, it was close to a park, close to trams and only a 20 minute walk to Melboune Park for the tennis. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and I felt really comfortable there. Also, rather than staying in a hotel it meant I could self-cater which is so much cheaper than eating out all the time.

My arrival in Melbourne started with a bit of tennis star spotting at the airport. Waiting for baggage I saw Daniela Hantuchova, Sania Mirza, Fabio Fognini, Marinko Matosevic and veteran Peter McNamara all waiting around for their many bags and sports equipment. My first few days were spent getting my bearings and finding out about transport etc., buying food, washing clothes - the unglamourous side of travel! I also managed to fit in watching the rest of the Sydney tennis tournament which was finally won by Bernard Tomic, the talented but troubled young Aussie, and Agnieska Radwanska, last year's Wimbledon finalist.

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment