Thursday, February 28, 2013

Travel to Austria, Salzburg, Werfenweng.




We woke today with plans to go to a nearby town in Salzburg that contains the biggest ice cave in the world. We set off with our backpack packed with jumpers.
Our train only took about 50mins, it went quick as we were distracted by the absolutely stunning scenery. The train twisted through snow capped mountains, along rivers and past many small cute towns. we had the carriage pretty much to ourselves and crossed the train from left to right comparing views. Once we arrived at the town of Werfen, it seemed deserted. We found the ticket desk and asked for directions to the bus that would take us up the mountain. It was about a 10 min walk along the river. We waited 25 mins for the bus and were joined by an Indian family also going up the mountain. We payed as we boarded the bus and set off.Well! The drive was a little scary, and sickening, it was only a little shuttle bus but it just kept climbing the mountain, up winding roads it just kept getting steeper and steeper, looking over the
cliffside edge made my tummy drop. After another 20 mins or so we arrived at the ticket office. We purchased our tickets including the sky cart. the first leg of the hike was 20 mins and it was steep! Danel was pushing me at some points as I just felt like my little legs weren’t getting me anywhere! the view was beautiful though, the town of Werfen and Werfens ginormous fortress bellow, looked tiny! Finally exhausted we made it to the sky cart. We had some more water and opened our can of Austrian herbal flavored lemonade. after a 10 min wait for the sky cart to run we boarded. I started to freak out when I saw how steep it was!! I’ve never seen anything like it, it was pretty much vertical! Danel went to put his arm around me and knocked my dermal, which came out!! Well if anything is a distraction it’s that! It was holding on by a thread and I just kept holding it and looking down as we went up. As soon as we got up I asked for a bandaid and headed to the bathroom to
use the mirror. I tried for ages to get it back in not knowing if I could pull the rest out if I wanted to, not knowing how much was attached still.

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment