Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Travel to Somalia, Somaliland, Hargeisa.



I have been able to spend a lot of time recently dealing with the bureacracy, and lack of mutual understanding between different departments of the government here.

The Ministry of Tourism tells me I have to go to the police to be given permission to leave the city, the police tell me that I need to get permission from immigration, immigration tells me that they only do things related to immigration (that makes sense) and that maybe I should talk to the Ministry of Tourism. So I went back to the Ministry of Tourism and suddenly they give me the documents to prove I have been given permission to leave the city. That only took me three days (though one day was my fault, I went a bit crazy with my siesta time).

I had spent most of time relaxing when not dealing with confusion and have found it quite pleasant. Drinking fruit juice and tea (and even attempting to show a few cafes how to make coffee, they really really don't want to make good coffee even though they have good machines and good coffee beans!). I have been reading and watching movies and just talking with people
Camel Market - 3-Month old Camel
Drew a lot of attention, had to be sold with his mom, starting price was $1200in the street.

I spent a morning at the camel and goat market in Hargeisa. It was really a lot of fun. Lots of money changed hands (a camel started at about $800) and was quite the event to see. Nothing like wandering around a field with camels everywhere towering over you, grunting while people are walking by with thousands of dollars in cash in their hands haggling over rices. The camels were especially concerning when I was warned to be careful because they might mistake my hair for hay and decide to have a taste (how many hair problems am I going to have here?).

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

1 comment:

  1. Somaliland is full of other natural attractions including Naasa Hablood Mountains, the twin hills located on the outskirts of Hargeisa.

    Somaliland Cargo

    ReplyDelete