Thursday, June 13, 2013

Travel to Germany, Cologne.


I got to visit the Cologne cathedral. Sonja and I weren't in Cologne for very long, as we had only the few hours gap between two trains. Still, we toured the inside, went up the belfry to see the bells, and then, from the top, to enjoy the view of the city. Sadly, my camera batteries had died just before I reached the belfry, and so... there are no pictures. I would believe that the Cologne cathedral is my favourite, behind Orléans'. It is a thing of beauty, also made impressive by its sheer size. Inside the cathedral, look at the floor. It's got some beautiful mosaics.

The cathedral, sadly, got damaged during the second world war. Some portions of the cathedral was repaired in such a manner as to recreate the medieval artwork, but other sections break from the ancient tradition. Some of the gigantic windows have been given a stained-glass mosaic of tiny brightly-coloured squares, each placed in such a way as to differ from the colours of its neighbours, giving the impression of a 'noise' of pixelated colours.

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment