Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Travel to Belgium, West Flanders, Bruges.


Weather forecast was for a cool, cloudy day with a possibility of showers but we ended up with a glorious, mild, sunny day. First stop was the Markt, a large open square in the Centre of the city ringed by step-galled street cafes and dominated by the 84 metre high Belfort, Belgium's famous medieval bell tower. This is 'the' bell tower in the black comedy 'In Bruges'. The Belfort has 366 steep, narrow steps that lead to the top of the tower. It was quite a claustrophobic experience climbing them especially given that there were people passing you on their way down. Fortunately every so often there is a landing that allows you to take a breather! The 360 degree view from the top was unbelievable. Photos will not do the view justice but hopefully will give you some idea. Climbing down the tower was perhaps even more challenging. There is very little to hold on to so I made Clive go first so if I fell he would break my fall. (Sadly I'm not having a lend here. I really did make Clive go first!) Fortunately (for Clive) I didn't fall.

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment