Thursday, August 1, 2013

Travel to China, Xinjiang, Kashgar.


I spent a couple of hours wandering around from the area where they discuss the price of cows, to the next where Uyghur men check out the sheep’s ears, backs and buttholes… and then there is the donkey area… While the Uyghur were looking at the animals, I must admit I was people watching. As you can see I took more pictures of the people selling and buying livestock than of the animals. There is something fascinating about these men’s faces, the beards, the hats, the wrinkles and the body gestures. When I look at them, I realize how far I am from home. Funny how a simple hat changes everything…

Men negotiate the prices and they shake hands in order to make an offer. As their hands meet, the buyer will hold a few fingers inside the seller’s hand to indicate how much he’s ready to offer for the animals. Apparently they do this so that no one around can find out how much they agreed on and the bargaining
Kashgar July 2013can go on with many other buyers. When they reach a final agreement, they shake hands very loudly. And then they get the banknotes out… I hadn’t seen this much money in a long time!

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment