Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Travel to Malawi.


After my last entry, I feel encouraged to write a bit of a lighter post. While life in Malawi is admittedly taxing, there are definitely a number of fun and adventurous things to do here as well!

Alas, when I first arrived in Malawi about eight months ago, I would often see boys and young men trying to sell something on a stick to motorists passing by. At first I thought it was some sort of dried fruit...then I thought it was an upside-down chicken. It was not until I asked one of my Malawian colleagues that I discovered that it was actually mice-on-a-stick, a very popular 'snack' food in the southern region of Malawi.

Like most ex-pats, I was initially disgusted by the idea of eating mice-on-a stick. After telling some of my friends back in the United States about this local delicacy, a few asked if I would ever try one, to which I immediately responded, "heeeell no!" But after some weeks passed, I started to entertain the idea more and more. And, finally, after a long conversation with my older brother about the mice, he dared me to eat one and take a picture of it- a challenge that I just could not turn down.

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment