Monday, April 8, 2013

Travel to Malaysia, Sarawak, Miri.



I only spent one day in Miri due to time constrictions with my travel plan, but upon my arrival I immediately wished I'd allowed a bit more time. My friend and I decided to hire a car and visit the Niah caves an hour outside of town. The caves are considered one of the great wonders of Sarawak and we felt it would be time well spent.

We arrived at the caves around 1030am, got a map, and rented head torches for 5 MYR. It's about a 3.8 km hike through the rainforest to the caves. Luckily for us, my friend was a biology major when he was in uni so watching the small wildlife along the way was a lot of fun. He was always able to identify what we were looking at and what said creature was doing. Most likely I would have missed quite a bit if I'd done the hike alone. We saw a variety of insects and some birds, and even a squirrel I'd never sen before. The trees and plants were pretty amazing, too, though nothing like how the rainforests are depicted in the movies. Much of the boardwalk trail follows a murky river
A walk in the rainforest...and we kept joking about watching for crocodiles. (There was a sign to beware of them at the entrance to the park.) We never did see any.

Read more at http://www.travelblog.org

No comments:

Post a Comment