Monday, April 15, 2013

Travel to South Korea, Busan.



I didn't know what to expect from Korean food when I arrived, but it's been a delight! My school lunches in particular are amazing and I have tried so many different things with them. First I had to get used to only using chopsticks and a spoon, which took some time. My school uses flat metal chopsticks, and the first time I had lunch it took me 30mins to eat everything! However I quickly got used to them and can tackle most things now apart from de-boning fish which is still a messy process!

School provides lunch for the teachers for about w63,000 per month, which breaks down as roughly w3150 per meal or e2.42. Amazing! And they always serve fresh vegetables mostly cold or raw; fish, tofu or meat; and often fruit as well as the ubiquitious sticky rice and kimchi. Our lunches are usually reasonably well balanced and filling, and sometimes it's my main meal of the day. I've tried some random things including acorn jelly (weird, no taste) and tiny dried out anchovies and walnuts in a sticky sweet sauce. My only gripe sometimes is the sheer amount of sticky rice. Korea doesn't do wholegrain unfortunately, so I only
first lunch out with schooltry to eat half. This means I also avoid eating multiple carbs (noodles and rice together), and anything made of shaped glutinous rice including rice cakes and tteokbokki. It's all about willpower!

No comments:

Post a Comment